September 2017 - We are excited to announce the expansion of our Preschool program from 1 classroom to 4 classrooms!!! There are now more options than ever before for South Toledo families!!!
Toledo Day Nursery is one of the nations oldest and best Preschool Providers. We are also partnering with Toledo Public Schools to bring two Head Start classrooms to South Toledo!
According to the Toledo Public School system, children growing up in Toledo's Old South End are starting Kindergarten 75% behind their middle class peers.
The Zero to Three Foundation states that early education or high-quality preschool have helped close this gap, which leads to an increase in high school graduation rates, a decrease in special education rates, a decrease in incarceration rates, and an increase in employment rates, later in life.
- 20 graduates
- Percent NOT reading to kids prior to Baby U: 67%
- Percent reading to kids daily AFTER Baby U: 83%
- Average number of books in the home available to their children prior to Baby U: 3
- Average number of books in the home available to their children after Baby U: 41
- 20 graduates
- 25 Getting Ahead participants
Before Baby U:
- 40% of parents reported never reading to their child
- 60% reported reading less than 5 times per week
- 0% read to their child every day
- Average number of children's books available in the home before Baby U: 8
Participants will be surveyed at the end of each Getting Ahead class, 6 months later, and 1 year later.
The Getting Ahead Class started with 25 participants and finished with 16. 6 people attended on and off, but they did not attend enough to graduate. 3 participants dropped out, one because of illness, one because of a job, and one stayed home with the kids so that the spouse could attend.
Initial results include: